Monday, January 19, 2009

Slow but steady start

The start of 2009 has been slow but steady. After the failed marathon attempt on December 29th, I have started to build a base from which to start my Ironman assault. The plan is to run 3 days a week for an hour each time, with the aim to cover 10k or more each time.

Doing 3 out of 4 runs over 10k, is the first target. Once achieved, one weekly run will increase to 90 minutes and speed work will be added. The speed work is to run 2k in 10 minutes, take a 5 minute break and then do the 2k run again.

Cycling will wait until I am doing the 2 x 1 hour runs, 1x 90 minute run and speed work.

Swimming can be hard to arrange, but I tried on my wetsuit and did a couple of laps in the backyard pool. I'm not a good swimmer and it will probably take a couple of months before I can cover 2k again. Weekends will be the most likely time, so I'll work on getting them into my schedule.

Key events for 2009 are the Mackay Half Marathon, which takes place in July and the Capricorn Half Ironman, which takes place on 16th August. It's the Capricorn Half that is the "now or never"event. If I don't validate for Ironman, then it could be curtains for my ironman aspirations.

I've made a promise to my partner, that when we marry, she will be marrying an Ironman. We have set November 2010 as the date, so that doesn't leave much margin for error. It's IMOZ March 28th 2010 for me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home