Sunday, December 02, 2007

New Toys Hurt

T'was the month before Christmas and all round the net,
the slow bloke was trawling for fancy new gadget.

The Garmin he spied from a transitions forum mate,
was snapped up by the slow one, hey this Garmin is great.

He set the heart rate to warm him he's slow,
it'll beep at him a warning, "HTFU and go."

Late, late one night, a test sounded fun,
just testing the warnings, not really a run.

So, he plodded down the road without stretching his legs,
"go faster, ya mongrel" his Garmin it begs.

He sprints at full speed, well as fast as he can,
flying across the road this super slow man.

The effort was full, not just giving it half,
but with a scream and a lurch, he tore his left calf.

Limping home he swore, you're a bloody idiot,
sprinting with no warm-up's real stupid, in'it.

So here I sit, no running for weeks,
watching the news from Busso, with tears down my cheeks.

The lesson I've learned in my tear-stained shirt,
new toys can be fun, but sometimes they hurt.



Needless to say, from the above very poor attempt at poetry, my training has been put on the back-burner for a couple of weeks. I'd been looking forward to the new Garmin 305 to start working on training according to my heart rate. After last year's lone effort without any idea what I was doing, 2008 is going to be a much more structured training program with the aim to break 6:30 for the half and qualify for Busso. (Busselton - Home of Ironman Western Australia)

Speaking of Busso, I'd like to congratulate all those who were at Busso this weekend. Particularly all the people at Transitions forum. To those who are still on the course yet to finish, keep going. To finish an Ironman is a great achievement, regardless of the time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home