Monday, November 19, 2007

Searching for speed

After the ignomy of being last over the line for more than half of my races, I have concluded that my training focus needs to shift. To date, my focus has been on managing to cover the distance in the longer races. While I have managed to complete races up to half-ironman distance, the lack of speed is a real problem. On the rare occassions where training is actually done, it's a case of travelling at a comfortable speed so that that can be maintained for a good hour, or two if pushed.

So, from this weekend (Nov 17th/18th) a new system has been put in place. My current speed for distances from 5k to 15k is 6 min/k. Beyond 15k, I slow a bit toward 6:30 per k.

My target speed is 5 min/k, which can be maintained for a full half-marathon. The annual half is run in early July, so there is just over 7 months to achieve target. I'll start out with 1km and push to target speed, the increase the k's and push to maitain that speed over the longer distance. In addition, there will be a longer run each week, so that the ability to run long is not lost.

Sat 17th : 1km - 4:28s
That was a surprise. That may not be fast for other triathletes, but that certainly put a big smile on my face. Never thought I could do that pace, even if it was only a short sprint. the left foot was sore, underneath the big toe. Running at that speed, my foot strikes the road at a different angle and place. May have to try out different footwear etc.

Sun 18th: 2km - 5:10s per k
That's more like it. Close but not quiet there. The foot is now sore, justwith normal walking. Time to hit the bike for a couple of days and then come back to speed on the run.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home