Friday, December 07, 2007

On Ya Bike

With my left calf muscle being torn, I was doing the right thing and trying to keep off it for a while. After consulting those with better knowledge than mine, I was told it could be up to 4 weeks for a full recovery. It's important to use the leg as much as possible, but without straining the muscle too much.



Late in the week, I found my step-daughter had decided to jump on the trusty (should that read rusty?) bike for a photo shoot.......... Don't ask. I got the answer and still don't understand!



Anyway, I decided to see how the calf would hold up to some gentle peddling. My main focus had been on getting my run times well down, but with the calf gone, I thought a cycle might be worth a try. I quickly learned that pushing yourself up over the saddle with the dodgy leg is NOT a good idea. But apart from that, it was smooth sailing for the whole 100 metres that I managed before being called back to continue fatherly duties.



So, while the running score has been non-existent for the week, I did manage to test my leg on the bike this weekend. Garmin in hand and being careful not to aggravate the injury, I went out slowly.

Ride 1 - 1.75k 3:52 26.9k/h Avg 133 bpm Avg 148 pbm Max
Ride 2 - 3.63k 7:40 28.3k/h Avg 148 bpm Avg 157 pbm Max

I know those times are very short, but it's the first time on the bike since Sarina triathlon on November 11th. I'm working my way back into some level of fitness, with particular emphasis on speed. I know I can manage the distances involved with a HIM, now I just have to get to the finish line faster. The aim for 2008 is to get fitter & faster with the intention of knocking a minimum of 1.5 hours off my HIM time at Yeppoon in August. Anything under 6:30 will make me very happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home